Marker's Mark Distillery Tour & a Cruise Planned


We survived our first 10 hour a day week!  Not bad for two old folks. By the end of the day our feet and backs were paying the price but we did notice on day 4 (our Friday) it seemed a little better than the night before. Having done this once before we knew what to expect. The next challenge is mandatory overtime which begins next week. That means an extra 10 hour day and a 50 hour week. My guess is next week will be brutal and then a our bodies adjust it will get better.  So week 3 down, 6 more to go.

This week John and I booked a cruise for January 3rd, so whenever it gets hard I’ll just remember the silver lining at the end of the tunnel. The cruise is to celebrate our 30th anniversary that we achieved last September 1st. We discussed options then but decided to wait until after our work stint and wait for a good price. We found both so we booked it. We will be leaving here and working our way to an Escapees park in Livingston Texas. It is close enough to Houston for us to drive there and board the ship. It also gives us a safe place to park and leave everything plugged in.


For those of you non-RVers. Escapees is a group we belong to that is mainly (but not all) full timers and they have various parks in many of the locations the full time RVers like to go. It is a wonderful supportive organization that is well worth the money. Our cruise will be to Cozumel Mexico, Belize and Honduras. I am so looking forward to it! I may have to shop online for a new bathing suit, oh the wonders.

Vat of sour mash
Last weekend we had four days off due to a change in our shift pattern so now we are Wednesday to Saturday with Tuesday being our mandatory overtime day. Since mandatory overtime begins next week it means we work Tuesday to Saturday until we leave here. The four day weekend gave us an extra day to do a little site seeing. The closest distillery on the bourbon trail is Maker’s Mark so we thought it would be fun to
Set up in the tasting room
check it out. As a bonus the Kentucky hills were in full color. We enjoyed the tour and it is fun seeing the different ways each distillery chooses to do their tours. This one lets you try the sour mash, John did that. I almost had an asthma attack at the last brewery when I put my nose over the fermenting vats I chose to just trust him on this. The tasting room here is done much like a wine tasting room. The samples were already poured and marked. The guide tells you about each one before you taste it. I liked this set up and felt it was very well done. We left there and went back thru Lebanon KY and stopped at an Italian restaurant that I found on Trip Advisor. It was ok, not great. One of the things we found out though was in Kentucky on Voting Day alcohol is not sold until after the polls close at 6pm. That is a new one on us. Interestingly they were able to sell bourbon at Maker’s Mark. Some states have alcohol laws I find a bit archaic, but such is life.


Not much else to talk about but I will let you know I posted another Captain’s Log on Eating with the Flamingo. I am starting to form a couple posts on bread making and cooking in a small kitchen too. I tried out a pumpkin muffin recipe today that turned out well so it along with a scone recipe are also waiting to join the blog posts.

Until next time.. Happy Trails.................................

Comments

  1. Thanks for the tour. That is one we have yet to visit:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. George did the distillery tour before I got here and liked it. I'm not a bourbon fan, so I'll pass :) Today starts my first week of 10 hour days, and 6 to boot! We'll see if another 60 hour week is in my future is in the cards. Now that we're on the same shift sorta, we have the same days off. Maybe we can get together before we all leave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are surviving Amazon. We also enjoyed the Maker's Mark tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 30th anniversary and for booking a cruise to celebrate. I hope you bought some of that Maker's Mark to bring along to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the rest of your time at Amazon goes well and you make lots of money. Enjoy your upcoming cruise to the Carribbean. When Dawn and I went several years ago we really liked Belize.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Urban Life

Back in Iowa and changes ahead

The desert is getting ready to bloom