Perfect Day


Another look at Elephant Butte, panorama created in Photoshop Elements
Yesterday was just about a perfect day. The winds died down to a calm. The temps were probably around 70. First we got on the bikes and road down to the boat ramp to check out the lake. There were about a dozen trucks with boat trailers parked. You could see quite a few people out fishing.  A great day to fish. Also a great day to bike. We took the road out to the entrance and then came back and as we entered the campground we found a trail we hadn’t noticed. It was kind of a packed dirt so we decided to ride on it. It stayed a packed surface for about 3/4 mile and then became a more graveled trail. We kept going for awhile but it was tricky. We have hybrid bikes so they are good on a packed surface but on the gravel you really needed a mountain bike.  Still we got in about 6 miles all together.  We haven’t been on our bikes as much as we should be so it is a delight to get back to that.
The middle of the day we simply sat outside enjoying the sun and warmth. John read and I worked on my cross stitch. It was so relaxing and with a view like we have sometimes I felt like I needed to pinch myself. Is this real, do we really get to do this? I told John this and he offered to pinch me. :)
As evening came on John noticed that the lake was now like glass. There was still time to take the kayak out. So we grabbed what we needed and headed to the boat ramp. Now there wasn’t a vehicle in sight and not a boat within view. It took us a little to remember how to get it inflated and ready but soon we were out on the lake. There are some ducks on the lake that are new to us I would have taken a photo but I forgot the dry bag so no camera. In a way that was ok because I just relaxed. We paddled for awhile and then just floated. The only thing you could hear were the birds, the water and the fish that were jumping. I think the fisherman went home too early as there were fish, big fish, jumping all over. It was wonderful.
Back at the trailer we had dinner and then topped off the evening with a fire. I checked with the campground host about fire restrictions. He said there weren’t any at the moment in the park. The winds were still very light so this might be our only opportunity and if you know me, you know I love a fire. There is just something primal and fascinating for me. I’m not sure I can even explain it. I told John today reminded me of the line from the movie “Groundhog Day” when Bill Murray’s character finally gets it right he says, “It’s the perfect ending to the perfect day”. That’s how I felt. Before we went in the trailer we stood and enjoyed gazing at the amazing night sky. Yea, just about a perfect day.
Followers John and Carol asked how I got the photo in the South Monticello Campground post across the top. I have worked with Photoshop Elements for a lot of years and one of the cool features it has is Photomerge Panorama. You open the photos you took in succession, in this case I took 6 photos to get the panorama, it automatically knits them together and then you crop it to the photo you want.  I took that and when I imported it to the blog I chose extra-large for the size. I was surprised it fit as nicely as it did. I am really enjoying doing the panoramas. I did one at Kolob Cayon in Zion National Park that also turned out well . If you need more detailed instruction feel free to email me. :)
Now a question. What would your perfect day be like?
Happy Trails...........

Comments

  1. Your day would be a perfect one for me. Except for the six mile bike ride. And the kayak trip. But yes to the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day you had is perfect..getting some exercise, sitting by the fire under the night sky..can't get better than that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful day. We had pretty close to a perfect day ourselves: walking through the woods along a river filled with waterfalls, encountering very few people. Add to that a little sun and comfortable temperatures. Pretty close to a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 72 degree sunny day with nothing to do but take a walk in a beautiful park with level pathways. End the day with a crockpot dinner or a cookout prepared by the husband. All of this in our own RV with no worry about the house or jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like a perfect day to me as well, the only thing I would add to the list is a good one hour massage! I always said if I won the lottery I would hire my own personal massuse.

    Love the picture at Elephant Butte.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Urban Life

Back in Iowa and changes ahead

The desert is getting ready to bloom