Back in Iowa

Morgan Creek County Park


Well, we arrived in Iowa Saturday afternoon. It was a long drive from Kansas City but a nice one. The weather in Iowa is awful, rain and cold, they actually had snow Saturday morning but luckily we hadn’t arrived yet. We came back to Morgan Creek, one of the 2 Linn county parks that we stayed in most of last summer. When we pulled in I felt like we had never left. Was it all a dream? We were surprised at how many rigs were in the park , when the weather was so dreadful. We chose a site next to the shower house knowing we would be using it until out water heater is repaired. 
A cold rainy cookout
Not long after we were set up my friend Trudy arrived to welcome us home. Even though I had a chance to spend some time with her in Santa Fe NM, it is always good to see her. It wasn’t long after Trudy left that Gabe (oldest son) and his girlfriend Melissa arrived. This was our first chance to meet Melissa as they started dating after we left Iowa. She is a sweetie and Gabe is a lucky guy. I have missed my boys so I was delighted to see him again. It will probably be next weekend before I get a chance to see Mitchell, my youngest son. We will be spending some time with him up in Decorah next month when he graduates from Luther. I look forward to some time with him and his girlfriend Emily.
Gabe and Melissa  being silly
On Saturday night we had a cook out here at the park with Trudy and her family and Gabe and Melissa. it was cold and started to rain just as the burgers came off the grill. It was cozy inside the rig and it is amazing how many people we can fit in such a small space. The weather here is atrocious but the companionship is outstanding.
On Monday morning I had to be up by 6 am to get ready for a day of work. I was actually looking forward to it. It was so good to see my coworkers and the students I had last year. Those students are getting ready to graduate and it was great to see how far they have come. I do love teaching so being back at work does not seem like a sacrifice to me. This will probably be my last summer teaching so I intend to make the most of it. I got a lot of hugs on the clinic floor from the students and that makes it all worth it.
Another plus of getting back this early is getting to see the Roughriders Hockey team in the playoffs. Brady Hjelle who was our last hockey housing son returned this year to play (goalie) and has had an amazing year, he set the league record for number of wins by a goalie and the team won the regular season Anderson Cup. Now it is on to the league tournament the Clark Cup. They have home games on Wednesday and Friday nights this week and we stopped and got tickets today. Just talked to Brady on the phone and he is ready for the challenge! I am so glad I am going to get to see him play again. He is and always will be one of my kids. I will take the camera with me Wednesday so maybe I will have a few photos to share on Thursday.
Just a short update on the water heater. Ketelson’s here in CR is an Atwood service center so John talked with them and they ordered the parts, however it will take a little while to get them. We want to time it with a move to another park so it may be until My 2nd before it gets fixed. Good thing the parks we stay in here have very good shower houses. Some of the best we have seen. 
Add caption
Happy Trails............................

Comments

  1. Brr. All those coats. Thank goodness for family and friends to warm up the day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are glad you got home safe and sound. It sure looks chilly Enjoy being with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking out my window at a field covered in snow. I thought it was supposed to be spring! But, seeing my boys is worth the weather sacrifice. Glad you made it back safe and sound. Hopefully, your water heater will be fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear you made it back to Iowa safely, enjoy your time with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the weather almost everywhere in the north is bad this April. We are still freezing away here in Nova Scotia. Hope you get your water heater fixed up. Ours has a leak but we are able to mangae with it at the moment. Kevin will try and fix it when we have a supply of city water, as he has to drain our tank in order to remove the pump.

    Enjoy your family, friends, co-workers and the hockey games.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes 'home' can be good...nothing beats family and old friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Urban Life

Back in Iowa and changes ahead

The desert is getting ready to bloom